Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Car, Train or Airplane?

Right now I am not following any "diet" plan, other than trying NOT to eat everything in front of my face. If I need to lose this weight (starting with the first 60), I need a plan. I think which diet plan I choose is more important than ever since I am recovering from a painful back strain and cannot really move. The way I look at it there are three options for "diet" plans that are best for me:
1. South Beach Diet
2. Weight Watchers
3. Common Sense

I have been successful in the short term with both SB and WW. Obviously common sense hasn't worked for me or I wouldn't be in a position to need to lose half of myself. HOWEVER, I AM of the opinion that in the long term diets don't work. I really don't think they do. They help to lose weight and they have "maintenance" programs or whatever, but I don't think they work for ME. I think for a lot of people they do, but NOT ME.

So, I am throwing out #3 because obviously the kind of common sense I have with regards to dieting would work better as a cave person or bear storing up for the winter.

Now, pros and cons. These are pros and cons for ME, not any other dieter because I am sure other people would mostly make better choices for me.

SB
PROS
  • My husband likes this diet best, so he'd be more helpful
  • Once on this diet a few days, the sugar cravings really do go away
  • I was successful in losing 20 pounds before, but quickly gained it back
  • It forces me to heat the most healthfully
  • I have the book and many cookbooks

CONS (for me)

  • Too much prep time - I feel like I have to "cook" every single meal. This basically boils down to me not being a good cook and not liking to do it only for me
  • Not very flexible - since there are so many thing you CANNOT eat, when I am in a situation and I eat something not necessarily high in calories but not "approved" on SB, I tend to feel like I have completely blown the diet and pig out all day long (and maybe for the next few days). Normal people wouldn't have this problem, they'd probably have the snack/whatever and go about their day. NOT ME!

WW

Pros

  • Flexible because you can eat anything, as long as you do not go over your daily points
  • I am anal and something like this where you are counting and calculating works for me
  • I lost over 50 pounds on this and kept it off for 2 years, so I've had some success
  • I have all of the materials from 7 years ago when I lost the weight and many cookbooks.

Cons

  • When I did it before, I tended not to make the healthiest choices. If I only had 18 points to eat, I may have had a snickers bar, 2 tacos and grapes.

Obviously for me, the smartest thing to do would probably be to marry both plans together. Money is an issue for us, so I need to plan meals that are inexpensive and healthy. Sounds easy enough, right? I have to make this work this time, because if I don't I will NOT be around for my kids and that makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment