Monday, April 13, 2009

The Beginning....

For every journey there has to be a beginning, or a starting place. That starting place for me is today.

Now, when you decide you need to go somewhere, there needs to be a reason.... The reason for my journal is that I need to get healthy. Somewhere in the last 30 some years I have managed to add approximately 266 pounds to my normal 7 pound birthweight. So, for the mathematically blessed that would mean that I weight around 273 pounds. 273.5 to be exact. Obviously I didn't gain over 100 pounds overnight, so the thought has occurred to me many times that I needed to get a handle on my weight.

A good friend of mine told me that I would receive a "wake up call" that would finally get me going. Well, I got a couple of calls. One was the result of my cholesterol test I just had taken which came up with a result of 272. Yes, my cholesterol is just slightly less than what I weigh. And it's a lot! Secondly, I hurt my back. Bad. If had a little bit of core muscle strength, it wouldn't have happened. I've been laid up for several weeks now and am not feeling very positive.

Luckily I have my faith and I am determined to do something. I may not be able to move much, but I can still control what I put in my mouth. Hopefully, this blog will track my recovery from my back injury and weight loss.

Today is the start and I am planning on weighing in every Monday and to chart my progress from the prior week. My first goal that I am counting down to is my cholesterol retest in six months. My goal is to have my retest in the middle of October, so let's say October 15th. That is 185 days from today. I would like to lose 60 pounds by then. I don't know if it is realistic given the fact that my back is messed up, but I hope that it will be better soon so I can start exercising.......

No comments:

Post a Comment